I walked past John’s last Wednesday lunchtime. He’s retired and lives up in one of the barn conversions at the manor. He likes to get things done, does John, and over the years I’ve listened to many tales of woe about Shropshire bureaucrats and signed more than a few petitions he’s thrust in my hands.
This time we settled on a chat about the weather.
- I haven’t see the sun since Saturday, he said.
- I know, it just seems to squat over us doesn’t it. Anne says it’s a bright clear day in Birmingham.
- Yesterday I drove over to Shrewsbury and as I got near Wellington, just past the Wrekin, the fog disappeared and it was lovely. Then, coming back, it swallowed me up again.
- Amazing really, I said.
- I blame the council, he said.
- Absobloodylutely, John. You should start a petition…
And off we went about our business.