All this week I haven't been able to look the woman in the Co-op in the eye after I suggested Al Co, who, to be fair, did make it to the first fence. Luckily I haven't bumped into the dog walker since suggesting Godsmejudge. She'll surely forget soon. I gave both of those to Anne's workplace as well, along with Alvarado and Monbeg Dude, not that I've seen any evidence of a thank you. Just as well I didn't bore anyone on here with my thoughts. Or was it?
A facebook friend posted a nagging note early Saturday morning, saying “come on then give us your tips.” She then backed them all and also promised that if I made her a small fortune she'd give me and Anne a free week in her holiday cottage in Camber Sands. This was not only very generous but said with purpose because she knows from previous postings that my love affair with racing began in 1976, on a coach trip to the Derby taken whilst on holiday at Pontins, just across the road from her cottage.
Anyway, here were my tips:
I think I used up all my luck yesterday to be honest. Anyway, you asked.
(1) Bet each way with Bet365 and they will give you half your money back. Just like that.
(2) If betting elsewhere make sure they are paying at least 5 places - William Hill isn't.
(3) Place your bets now - by noon - the prices will get shorter and shorter.
(4) 30 horses can win, so it doesn't much matter what you choose - personally I wouldn't be looking much below 20/1.
(5) The horses I've backed have no better chance than much else but if you must know they are Many Clouds 40/1, Monbeg Dude 66/1, Al Co 28/1, Alvarado 25/1 and Godsmejudge 20/1.
(6) Whatever your final choices do a combination exacta also to a small stake.
(7) Cross your fingers, legs and toes.
Obviously I'm not going to be able to repeat the feat on today's Scottish National, so I won't bother...